National Student Leadership Scholarship
This is one of the USA's most prestigious scholarships for student leaders. It is awarded to an entering freshman, valued at $10,000 per year, renewable upon satisfactory academic progress and leadership involvement. Deadline for high school seniors to submit the online application to the General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center is no later than 5:00 p.m. November 1 of each year.
The General Hugh Shelton Leadership Endowment provides:
- $10,000 annual NC State tuition and fees, housing, etc.
- Annual enrichment funds up to $2,000 for student leadership enrichment experiences.
Example enrichment experiences
- Leadership Retreats
- Leadership and Ethics Seminars
- Service Weekends
- Advanced Protocol & Etiquette Training
- Wilderness Leadership Experience
- Study Abroad
- Community/Global Service - Learning
- Shelton National Leadership Forum
- Leadership Internship with Corporation/Agency
Step 1 - Initial Application
Deadline: November 1st 5:00 pm
Students wishing to apply for the National Student Leadership Scholarship will need to submit a complete application by the deadline. The application must be submited online. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
A complete application will include the following items:
- The application cover page with signed commitment statement
- List and description of academic, work, community service, and extracurricular activities
- Responses to short answer questions
Once you submit the application, you will receive an email confirmation containing a copy of the data you submit. Keep that information for your records.
Step 2 - Application Materials After Initial Screening
By midnight on December 18th of each year, the Gen. Hugh Shelton Scholarship Selection Committee will notify all applicants of status by email. Semi-finalists will then need to apply to the university admissions office and to complete additional information (Students may wish to apply earlier to N. C. State).
All applicants who advance to the second phase of the process will need to complete and return requested information by January 15 of each year.
- Apply and have been accepted (or deferred) to N.C. State University
- Complete two additional essay questions (which will be emailed)
- Request a letter of recommendation from a person familiar with your leadership potential. The link to the online recommendation form will be included in the email sent to semi-finalists.
- Request an official, sealed transcript from a guidance counselor, scholarship coordinator or registrar. The transcript should be mailed to:
General H. Hugh Shelton Leadership Center Scholarship Coordinator
1101 Gorman Street/ 210 McKimmon Center
NCSU Campus 7401
Raleigh, NC 27695-7401
The General Hugh Shelton National Student Leadership Scholarship Selection Committee will notify finalists by February 1, to participate in a personal interview in mid-February.