Cherry Building -715 Barbour Drive
Location: Centennial Campus
Sq. Footage 31,330
The builiding, which was one of the many Dorethea Dix Hospital buildings, was originally named the Building for Epileptic Children. In 1949, it was renamed the Cherry Building in honor of R. Gregg Cherry who was elected as the Governor of North Carolina, an office he held from 1945-1949. The Gastonia native focused his administration on expanding mental health services and increasing hospital facilities and personnel. Cherry Hospital in Goldsboro, North Carolina is also named after the governor. Under Cherry’s direction, teacher salaries increased, the compulsory age for attendance in public schools was raised, and a four-year medical school at Chapel Hill was constructed.
After his time as the governor, Cherry went back to practicing law in Gastonia and became a trustee of both Duke University and the University of North Carolina. He died in 1957, and is buried in Gaston Memorial Park in Gastonia, North Carolina.
Following extensive renovation, the building became home to Wake NC State Early College High School in 2013.