Cox Hall

View from South

Scroll below for building history

Click to view ADA Map
Accessibility Map

Location: North Campus


Current Residents:

College of Sciences

Built 1960

Sq. Footage 64,921

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


History

A six-story structure housing labs, lecture rooms, computer facilities and offices, Cox Hall honors a pioneer in statistics and the first woman to be both full professor and department head at NC State, Gertrude Mary Cox (1900-1978).

Cox, an Iowa native who lived near Racoon River, earned her mathematics degree at Iowa State, and she became the first woman to earn an MS in statistics from Ames. In 1940, UNC President Frank Graham engaged her to establish a Department of Experimental Statistics at NC State in the school of Agriculture. As head, her leadership caused the department to acquire an international reputation, attracting students to the program from abroad. She also assisted UNC-CH and NC State in the development of the Institute of Statistics in 1944 and became its director. Cox was granted an honorary doctorate from Iowa State in 1958 as part of its centennial celebration. She is remembered for her fundamental role in the recognition of women in academics.


Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena