Scroll below for building history
Location: North Campus
Sq. Footage 57,027
Leazar Hall, a large brick building with a broad Doric portico, served as the campus dining hall until 1971. It is named in honor of Augustus Leazar (1843-1905) who joined with Charles W. Dabney to introduce legislation for the establishment of an industrial school. The first bill failed; however, the second bill was modified to include agriculture and to be compatible with federal Land-Grant college legislation. The second version was passed to create the "North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts," as it was called then, or NC State.
Leazar graduated from Davidson College at the age of 17. He fought throughout
the Civil War in a regiment that he commanded, which was reduced to only six
men by the end of the war. Leazar longed to be a Greek scholar and for 17 years
he was a teacher by day. By night, he published a newspaper. Actively involved
in politics, Leazar was chairman of the Education Committee in the House and
speaker pro tem. Throughout his years as head of the legislative committee on
education, Leazar fought for appropriations for the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill. The Leazar Literary Society at the turn of the century was tribute
to his intellect and support of education. Members asserted that agriculture
students and engineers should be able to express their thoughts confidently
and correctly on their feet.
Leazar Hall underwent a complete interior renovation to accommodate studio and office space for the College of Design which also include the addition of an elevator and stair tower.