Left Navigation

Faculty Senate Home Agenda Faculty Senate Bylaws Committees General Faculty Items of Interest Mediation, Grievances & Hearings Meetings & Minutes Resolutions Senators

January 23, 2001

Senators present: Chair Corbin, Secretary Brown, Interim Provost Moreland, Senators Ash, Banks, Bottcher, Braunbeck, Cassidy, Elmaghraby, El-Masry, Funderlic, Grainger, Grimes, Havner, Hodge, Hooper, Hughes-Oliver, Kimler, Kirby, Levine, Lytle, Malinowski, Marshall, Misra, Robinson, Sawyers, Setzer, Toplikar, Tucker, Tyler, Vickery, Wilkerson, Wilson

Senators absent: Senators Brothers, Headen, Suh

Excused: Chair-Elect Carter; Parliamentarian Gilbert, Senator McAllister, Smoak

Visitors: Art Cooper, Faculty Athletic Representative 1999-2000; Donn Ward, Faculty Athletic Representative; Daniel Bunce, Editor, News Services; Blair Parker, Technician; Esther Wilcox, Graduate Student Association; Joanne Woodard, Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity; Sheri Plenert, Assistant Equal Opportunity Officer; Franks Abrams, Senior Vice Provost; Mary Elizabeth Kurz, Vice Chancellor & General Counsel; Lee D. Fowler, Director of Athletics

1.    Call to Order
The seventh meeting of the forty-seventh session of the North Carolina State University Faculty Senate was called to order at 3:00 p.m. by Chair Frederick T. Corbin.

2.    Welcome and Announcements
Chair Corbin welcomed Senators and Guests.

Chair Corbin announced that there are scholarships provided to the Emerging Issues Forum for a limited number of faculty. Those requesting tickets should contact Vernice Stevenson at 515-2279 or .

Esther Wilcox, President of the University Graduate Student Association, announced that the Student Senate passed resolution number thirty-seven to urge the university to adopt a statement concerning administration of tests and major projects on Jewish and Muslim holy days. They would like the administration to state that faculty cannot give test or major projects on Jewish and Muslim Holy days.

The University Graduate Student Association is working very hard to make direct deposit available to graduate students. In doing so, they are conducting a survey of graduate students to show that the majority of graduate students are in favor of it. There is a questionnaire available on the web. President Wilcox urged all graduate students to fill out the survey.

President Wilcox stated that student organizations have received complaints about the lack of left-handed desks in classrooms. She has communicated with the University Classroom Environment Committee and they have requested a list of classrooms that do not have left-handed desks. She noted that approximately 10% of the student population is left-handed.

3.    Approval of the Minutes, Meeting No. 6, November 28, 2000
The minutes were approved as edited.

4.    Introduction of the Faculty Athletic Representative
Dr. Art Cooper, Faculty Athletic Representative, 1989-2000, introduced Dr. Donn Ward as the new Faculty Athletic Representative. Dr. Ward is the Associate Head of the Department of Food Science. He has been at NC State since the late 1980's. He was originally elected to the Council on Athletics by the Faculty Senate seven years ago. He has served two consecutive terms on the Council on Athletics. During that period he has shown himself to be extremely interested in the issues and has been willing to invest the time necessary to do a good job of being a council member. Dr. Cooper stated that Dr. Ward impresses him as being the kind of person who has the proper attitude about the relationship between the university and its programs and the Department of Athletics and its programs, he will do the job as faculty athletic representative that the university needs.

Dr. Ward was appointed by Chancellor Fox last summer. He and Dr. Cooper have overlapped during the fall. Dr. Cooper noted that Dr. Ward’s signature instead of his will appear on documents February 1, 2001. He and Dr. Cooper will continue to work together through the spring.

Dr. Cooper reminded the faculty that the faculty athletic representative is not a creature of the department of athletics nor is he a creature of the faculty. The faculty athletic representative is a creature of both. He stands with a foot in the faculty and a foot in the athletic program. Dr. Cooper stated that anyone wanting to raise questions concerning any aspect of the athletic program needs to raise them with the faculty athletic representative to let him have the first shot at dealing with them.

Comments from Donn Ward, Faculty Athletic Representative
"I am pleased that the Chancellor asked me to move into the position that Art Cooper will be vacating on February 1, 2001. I can only hope to grow into the shoes that Art has so adequately filled.

If anyone has questions in Dr. Cooper’s absence and when I have assumed this role, I would be happy to find the answers for you."

Senator Grimes stated that there seem to be a number of unhappy students on the basketball team and asked about the attitude of the students on the team.

Dr. Ward responded that his interaction with the student athletes on the basketball team is minimal. He stated that he does not perceive that as being an issue. He said he is very positive about the long term prospects for the basketball team as well as its coach. Dr. Ward stated that he does not want that to become a distraction for Director Fowler. There are other issues he prefers to spend his time on rather than dealing with issues associated with NC State’s win-lost record at present.

Senator El-Masry wanted to know what procedures will be taken to alert the faculty member that there is a student athlete in his or her class room.

Dr. Ward stated that he thinks NC State is very fortunate to have a good structure in place with the academic program for student athletes, the council on athletics, etc. "We have a pretty good handle on the performance of the student athletes in the classroom. When problems occur, Phil Moses, who is with the Academic Support Program, is often already aware of the issue. They are in contact with the student, the coach, and if necessary they are in contact with the faculty member in whose class the individual may be having problems. He thinks the university has a good system and that the athletes as a whole are doing quite well.

Senator Bottcher wanted to know if Dr. Ward perceives ways that faculty can help with communication regarding opportunities for capital improvements for the athletic program.

Dr. Ward responded that the bond money is for academic purposes and that the athletic facilities are built with non-state funds. He stated that this does not mean that one cannot benefit from the other.

5.    Report of the Task Force on the Graduate Student Support Plan
Dr. Robert Sowell, Dean of the Graduate School, gave a summary of the report of the task force on the graduate student support plan.

Dean Sowell stated that the task force was appointed by Vice-Chancellor Moreland on September 1, 2000. He asked the task force to review the graduate student support plan. The support plan has been in place for four years. It was implemented in the fall of 1997. Dr. Moreland asked the task force to review the basic rules of the graduate school support plan, particularly from the aspects of eligibility and responsibility for paying tuition and health insurance.

Vice-Chancellor Moreland also asked the task force to review how the funds are managed in the Graduate School, and how they are allocated to the colleges. He instructed them to take a look at how those allocations were made to make recommendations as to whether there should be some fundamental change in the allocation rules for the future, and to look at things like master students versus doctoral students, TA’s versus RA’s, US citizens versus internationals, etc. He asked the task force to discuss ways to secure more funds so that the graduate student support plan can grow. Dean Sowell reminded the faculty that when the graduate student support plan was implemented in the fall of 1997, the budget that was proposed over the next four years was based on a no-growth plan. It was understood up front that the money was not there to grow the plan. He stated that when they saw the need to grow, the issue of how to find those resources had to be addressed.

Vice-Chancellor Moreland instructed the task force to work during the fall and to submit a report by the end of the semester. The task force met six times and communicated via email to submit a report to him on December 20, 2000.

There were thirteen members on the task force with representation from each college, the Administrative Board of the Graduate School, the Associate Deans group, the Research Faculty, and representatives from the Directors of Graduate Programs.

The Task Force identified the NC Legislature, NC State University state-appropriated (16030) funds, Contracts and grants, and University Development as potential sources of additional funds for graduate student tuition and health insurance.

The report was presented to the Executive Officers on January 2, 2001, and to the Vice Chancellors on January 8, 2001. There was support from both groups. The task force was asked to make sure that the information was widely disseminated to the faculty. Dean Sowell stated that the Deans and Vice Chancellors will make a final decision on the report at their meeting in February.

Senator Wilkerson wanted to know why the task force is making it more attractive to hire persons for post-doctoral positions than to accept more graduate students.

Dean Sowell stated that they are talking about increasing numbers of graduate students. There will be the same number of tuition remissions in the colleges as there were last year.

Senator Wilkerson stated that if you increase the number of graduate students paid by grants and do not increase the pool of tuition remission money, then that money will have to come out of grants too.

Dean Sowell stated that a portion of it will. The recommendation of the task force is that it be shared.

Senator Wilkerson stated that the more you add to the cost to the individual investigator, the more you are going to force it into being more attractive for post-docs than graduate students.

Dean Sowell stated that the same can be said for all those sources of money. " If we say let’s take it from the state appropriated budget, then that is the same money that is used to provide new TA’s or to provide new faculty positions. The point is that we have to decide at the university the priority that we want to give to graduate education. If we want to give a priority to increasing graduate numbers on this campus, then we have to look at all of the sources."

Senator Sawyers wanted to know how this fits in with initiatives in the College of Management, where actions have been taken to increase graduate tuition.

Dean Sowell responded that they would assume that would be handled the same way as the $300 increase in tuition. "If we are going to impose an additional tuition on these students, then we want to provide their tuition back to them. That is what happened to the $300 increase this year. The budget of the graduate student support plan was increased for each student who was in the plan."

Senator Sawyers stated that it is disturbing, because at the time that they wrote a proposal for increased tuition in the College of Management, he had not heard of this.

Dean Sowell stated that there will be $7.7M available to pay tuition remission for students. There will be $1.5M to be matched to pay tuition remission. There will be $1.5M to pay instate tuition and health insurance for those numbers. If there are special circumstances like this, that is something the college is going to have to work out and decide who gets the tuition remission and who has to pay the tuition remission.

Senator Tucker stated that each individual is going to be motivated to do their work and find funding for it. If there is the same reward structure for the post-doctorate and the PhD student, then people will go with the post-doctorate.

Senator Wilkerson noted that when you are a faculty member trying to get tenure or a promotion, it all comes down to publications. "If you can get five publications a year from a post-doc and maybe one or two from a PhD, student then you are going to go with the post-doc. I do not think this plan is going to help. It is going to make things worse. It gives you more incentive to go away from a graduate student."

Dean Sowell feels that the plan cannot make things worse.

Vice-Chancellor Moreland stated that people have to make choices. "If you choose to go with the post- doc because of the financial circumstances, then that is your choice. There are other places in the university. So let’s talk about areas across the university that do not make that choice. This is very attractive for them to go with this plan. I will tell you that if you want to support graduate education in this university, you are going to have to put up some money to help do it, because we cannot get the money that it takes to grow the graduate program and the numbers that we are talking about at the Legislature. It is going to take a contribution from a number of sources to do that. That is where we are."

Senator Wilson stated that grants available to the College of Education and Psychology, particularly outside of the mathematics and sciences and social sciences, have funding that is significantly less than the funding that is available in the hard sciences. She wanted to know what this program means for the students in terms of attracting doctoral students in their program.

Vice-Chancellor Moreland responded that there are significant dollars available in education these days, especially in the National Science Foundation.

Senator Wilson stated that she does not teach national science. She teaches curriculum theory and she has graduate students who do curriculum theory work. She stated that her college also has a graduate program. She understands that they need to bring money in, but there are some areas where funding is not as lucrative in terms of dollar amounts. She wants to know if her area will be punished because that funding is not as lucrative.

Vice-Chancellor Moreland stated that under the plan that is recommended there are options given. "No one is saying that you have to find the money in contracts and grants, nor are they saying that you have to find it in your state dollars allocated. What is being said is that people somehow pool the money in particular colleges. Many of these sources are legitimate sources. They can be donated, you can raise money, you can take it out of your state budget, etc. If you pool dollars for the growth that you would like to have, the university will work very hard to try and match those dollars. If we receive extra funds from the General Assembly, those funds will not be on a matching basis. It will be allocated across the university. The challenge is with the area of growth. You are going to have to put up something in order to receive something if we are going to make that $19M over that period of time. The only recourse is that we have to try to find other sources. We are trying to grow that amount over and above what we can actually put up out of the budget that now exists. When you put money into this program you are obviously not putting it somewhere else, and there are a lot of needs everywhere."

Dean Sowell stated that in the past there has not been a problem. The allocations to education have met the needs. Obviously if you grow, we have to follow this plan of growth. The allocations that have been given for the past three years have always been adequate to cover what has actually been used in the College of Education.

6.    Remarks from Charles Moreland, Interim Provost
Interim Provost Moreland stated that the University Executive Officers and the Deans and Vice Chancellors have been asked by the Chancellor to work on enrollment planning or to come up with an enrollment plan management. "The question is where do we want to be in ten years with regard to enrollment. Dean Sowell has mentioned one of the things very clearly. As part of that plan, we would like to see the university have 25% of total enrollment at the graduate level. In order to come up with a graduate enrollment plan, we have to discuss where the resources are and how to get where you want to go. If you have a certain set of principles that you want to establish about the university in terms of being known as a strong university in the United States and one of the top universities, you are going to have to increase graduate enrollment, because that is one of the main ways that universities are evaluated. In order to do that we have to have the resources and those resources have to hit with regard to how we support our tuition remission plan. Where do we find all the dollars to do this, with the idea that we may not be able to get it when we go to the General Assembly and ask for it every time? Where is the space? We have a bond issue that just passed. If you know a lot about the bond issue, what is under that bond issue, you are going to find that within the build-out over the whole time of the bond issue some increase in space is available. For example, if you focused on space to go along with increase in graduate enrollment, is there more space for research? In our enrollment planning at the end of the month, we are going to have a retreat with the Vice Chancellors and the Deans and other resource people in order to find out how you play out an enrollment plan with regard to financial aid, with regard to distance education, with regard to resources, and with regard to graduate students support plan. Once there is some reasonable consensus reached, which is not always going to be easy to do because there are different points of view about many of these things, the Chancellor or I will come back and report to this group."

Interim Provost Moreland stated that another issue that we are working on is the copyright policy. "Our challenge for every campus in the university system is to write a plan which tells exactly how you intend to implement that policy on a specific campus. We have worked on that over the holidays and plan to report back to you within the month with regard to what we would consider to be a first draft of that implementation document."

Interim Provost Moreland stated that he met yesterday with the Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee, which was appointed by former Provost Hall to advise the Provost’s Office with regard to process. "Is the process that we are using being optimized to recreate the best results in terms of information that is coming forward? This group will be looking at that. Starting early next month they will be looking at dossiers just like some of us will be in Holladay Hall to make decisions on recommendations back to the colleges–not from the point of view of talking about whether someone gets promoted or not, but from the point of view of improving the way of doing this and making it a much better process.

Interim Provost Moreland stated that there are people who wonder how we handle all of this on an interim basis. "The answer is quite simple. The Provost Office has a very competent group of Vice Provosts and staff people, and they are helping me on a daily basis during this interim period."

7.    Unfinished Business
Mediation Procedures (document attached)
Senator Elmaghraby, Chair of the Governance Committee, presented the procedures for second reading and moved adoption of the document.

The motion was second and passed without dissent.

Senator Elmaghraby thanked the Governance Committee and Mary Beth Kurz for their support.

8.    Reports
Academic Policy Committee
Senator Banks reported that the Academic Policy and Personnel Policy Committees will meet jointly to continue discussing the issue of department heads versus department chairs on Tuesday, February 27, 2001 at 3:00 p.m in the Faculty Senate Chambers.

At its meeting next Tuesday, the committee will be considering the Student Senate’s resolution number thirty-seven regarding religious holidays as well as an issue of concern regarding fees for Life Long Education Students.

Judy Peel, Vice-Provost for Faculty Development, asked for input from the Academic Policy Committee on the issue of Holladay Medal process. The committee has been reviewing the proposed procedures.

Resources and Environment
Senator Kathy Brown reported that the Resources and Environment Committee will be having their first meeting of the semester next Tuesday. Issues that they plan to discuss in addition to the bond issue are computing resources on campus (follow up) and the bell tower.

Governance Committee
Senator Elmaghraby reported that the Governance Committee will be meeting next Tuesday to work on the roster of voting faculty.

Personnel Policy Committee
Senator Bottcher reported that the Personnel Policy Committee will meet next Tuesday in the Faculty Senate Chambers to discuss departmental leadership. He invited department heads and representatives of the department heads to attend the joint meeting to be held on February 27, 2001.

Senator Bottcher raised a question in light of some of the comments that were made after Dean Sowell’s presentation regarding the graduate student support plan. He stated that some of the comments alluded to faculty concerns regarding increasing support for tuition remission or tuition from contracts and grants- perhaps in some cases leading to a decision to go with post-doctoral researchers rather than graduate students, which obviously is a concern to those of us who wish to grow our graduate population. He wants to know if there is any merit to consider enhancing the reward structure for faculty of graduate students.

9.    Liaison Reports
Senator Banks, who serves on the Committee on the Evaluation of Teaching, reported on the continuation of a pilot project that began in the fall semester where an instrument was drafted containing approximately twelve questions that would be part of the end-of-semester evaluations. John Lapp has assumed the leadership and has done a masterful job of moving this through the many details that have to be handled in this area. The pilot project is being expanded this semester to include all the remaining departments of the College of Management. In that process the College of Management is going to give more feed back this semester than last. Those details are still being compiled. It is an ongoing process.

Senator Ash reported that the Council on Undergraduate Education is moving toward becoming more active in review of courses that meet the general education requirements (GER). They have been practicing going through course action forms that request placement on the GER list. They are beginning to take more responsibility in terms of deciding whether a course does, in fact, meet the rationale associated with the general education requirements.

10.    Adjournment
Chair Corbin adjourned the meeting at 4:55 p.m.

Footer Nav