Left Navigation

Faculty Senate Home Agenda Faculty Senate Bylaws Committees General Faculty Items of Interest Mediation, Grievances & Hearings Meetings & Minutes Resolutions Senators

March 20, 2001

Present: Chair Corbin, Chair-Elect Carter, Secretary Brown, Interim Provost Moreland, Parliamentarian Gilbert, Senators Ash, Banks, Bottcher, Braunbeck, Cassidy, Elmaghraby, Havner, Headen, Hodge, Hooper, Hughes-Oliver, Kimler, Kirby, Levine, Marshall, McAllister, Misra, Sawyers, Setzer, Suh, Tucker, Tyler, Vickery, Wilkerson, Wilson

Absent: Senators Brothers, El-Masry, Funderlic, Grainger, Grimes, Robinson, Toplikar

Excused: Senators Lytle, Malinowski, Smoak

Visitors: Cathy Reeve, Director of Transportation; Frank Abrams, Senior Vice Provost

1.    Call to Order
The eleventh meeting of the forty-seventh session of the North Carolina State University Faculty Senate was called to order at 3:00 p.m. by Chair Frederick T. Corbin.

2.    Welcome and Announcements
Chair Corbin welcomed Senators and Guests.

Chair Corbin recognized Senators Elmaghraby and Gilbert for being Holladay Medalists.

3.    Approval of the Minutes, Meeting No. 10, March 6, 2001
The minutes were approved without dissent.

4. Remarks from the Interim Provost
Interim Provost Moreland reported that reappointment, promotion and tenure reviews will conclude this week. The university committee that was approved by the Faculty Senate has also been working hard reading 122 dossiers. They will be writing a report on the process. Chancellor Fox, Vice Provost Abrams, Dean Sowell, Dean Anderson and Interim Provost Moreland have also reviewed the dossiers and have asked the committee to give advice on five out of twenty-two. Interim Provost Moreland stated that the documentation has been very well done this year. Every college is doing a good job of presenting the material and he thinks there is a better process for the candidates to respond to the evaluations. Interim Provost Moreland said, "I think the committee will be making some suggestions to improve that more. I think we have made a lot of important strides in the last few years in making sure that the process is going well and that the candidates are involved and have an input. They are getting feedback especially from some of the young faculty with regard to the reappointment. This is a great time to take a look at those cases and make sure that people are well advised. We will probably conclude our work this week and a report will be coming. The letter to the 122 candidates will be sent out in April."

Interim Provost Moreland updated the faculty on a number of searches that are in progress.

In the Dean Search for CHASS, the Nomination Committee has made their nominations to the Chancellor and Interim Provost Moreland. That person will be announced to the campus community within the next few days.

The Dean Search for Natural Resources is almost complete. Personal interviews were done yesterday to narrow the number of candidates down to four or five. Those names will be turned over to the Chancellor and Interim Provost. Those candidates will then be invited for interviews on campus.

The first candidate for Vice Chancellor for Extension and Engagement is on campus. The candidate is Steve Jones from Auburn University, and he has done quite a bit of work in Alabama in putting together a statewide extension program. He also has experience at Penn State University in Maryland. Another candidate from Cleveland State will be here at the end of the week She will be interviewing on Thursday and Friday. There are two other candidates who will be coming the second week in April. Interim Provost Moreland thinks that they are all very good candidates. He stated that when a new position is created, sometimes a lot of the effort is trying to figure out exactly who fits the description the best and how willing they are to make the new position work.

Approximately twenty dossiers have been turned over to the committee for the Provost position. They would like to have people on campus for interviews by the end of April. The committee plans to review the dossiers and make some choices to begin an interview process.

Interim Provost Moreland reported that the committee is in the last stages of the copyright implementation document. He hopes to have the final draft reviewed by the Executive Officers soon. He stated that the Faculty Senate should have a copy of the document by the next meeting.

Interim Provost Moreland said, "The document tries to take into account what the university administration is really obligated to do to make sure that we do not get ourselves into trouble with the General Assembly with regard to legal issues, tax issues, etc. In dealing with a document of this type, one of the considerations has to be ownership." He feels very strongly that people should be encouraged to be creative. Therefore, the only thing that he thinks needs to be considered in terms of not having faculty ownership is whether the product will be commercialized. If there is no commercialization intent, university resources should be available to help faculty be as creative as possible. He said, "If you intend to commercialize the product, then the question about university resources has to be asked. The best way to do that is to provide a disclosure process so an agreement can be reached about the ownership. This document tries to get at a process which is not cumbersome. The idea is to try to get this into categories so that you are making a decision based on what the outcome of the use of copyright would be."

Interim Provost Moreland pointed out that the document is a draft for faculty input.

Secretary Brown wanted to know if the document has to be approved by the Board of Trustees or if it is an internal document.

Interim Provost Moreland responded that his guess is that the final version of the document will have to be approved by the trustees, the legal office and General Administration.

Senator Elmaghraby noted that May will be a difficult month to have faculty participate in the interview process.

Secretary Brown, a member of the Provost Search Committee, reported that the committee has received approximately forty vitaes and have separated them into two piles (A & B). They are hoping to do airport interviews in early April. After the interviews they hope to invite approximately four candidates to campus.

6.    New Business
Lifelong Faculty Involvement Committee (Formerly the Retired Faculty Committee)
Senator Havner, Chair of the Lifelong Faculty Involvement Committee, gave a brief history of the committee and reported that they have been involved in a very thorough study of the section in the Faculty Handbook called Emeritus Faculty Status. They have prepared a final draft which is now retitled, "Emeritus Faculty Status and Involvement". It both modifies some of the existing language and increases its length considerably. During this process he has kept the Chair of the Faculty and others informed of the progress that they are making. Senator Havner stated that from his conversation with Chair Corbin, the appropriate step at this point seems to be to send this document to the Faculty Senate to be considered by the Governance Committee.

Cathy Reeve, Director of Transportation
Cathy Reeve, Director of Transportation, stated that this is the time of year when the Department of Transportation starts putting together ideas for the next year. The Physical Environment Committee has been aware of some of the issues related to the impact of the bond on transportation. She noted that the bond is going to bring a lot of great things to our campus, but there will also be a number of interruptions. Parking will be one of those. They are working with Facilities Planning and Design to get a handle on what is going to be happening when. They are identifying the physical impacts on parking as well as the fiscal. She noted that the Department of Transportation is receipts supported. Their three sources of income are parking fees, parking fines and the pay lot revenues.

Reeve handed out proposed parking zone maps for 2001-2002. She explained that there are not a lot of changes in the parking system with the exception of certain areas of campus. These are targeted at benefitting the employees who are having to compete for parking with students. The primary item is that more areas for employee parking will be carved out of Central Campus (Zone C). They are going to begin to refine the D zone for resident parking and weed out some of the students. There is a challenge on the Centennial Campus because a number of graduate students working there would like to be able to park in certain areas. The current policies prevent that. The Department of Transportation has been able to make a couple of exceptions, but there are some ramifications. For those students who have business only on Centennial Campus, Transportation will allow them to park on Centennial in certain areas, but not on the main campus. This does two things:

1) It fills in some spaces and generates revenue which helps offset the need for further increases in the future.
2)    It gives those students access to parking.

Reeve stated that the College of Veterinary Medicine is the same. "Before the parking hierarchy took effect in 1989, we had a system that was north campus, south campus, resident and commuter. We are trying to return to that. We need to be able to manage parking more effectively. One of the issues that was mentioned in the last meeting was a very valid concern about oversell rates. It is very hard for us to control oversell rates when we do not know where people can park. If someone has a "B" permit and they have the freedom to park wherever they want, there is no telling where they are going to show up. A hierarchy system works well with the advantages that we can sell more. There is a distinct possibility that when we have to look at parking allocations, we are going to have to be able to identify pockets of people and know who they are and where they work so that we can address their parking needs if we have to adjust them or relocate them. It boils down to better management. The "C" permit has the flexibility of the deck and the "D" zone. We hear from students and other employees in the "D" zone that they cannot find parking when the "C" is wide open, because "C" permit holders are parked in their zone. The decks are currently crunched because there are "C" permit holders parking there. That flexibility is beginning to impede on others’ ability to park."

Chair-Elect Carter wanted to know why someone would pay for a "C" permit when a "D" would be more convenient for them to park.

Reeve responded that currently their permit pricing is based on flexibility. They want to change that philosophy so that it is based on proximity and quality and demand. They have a number of "C" permit holders who park in the deck as well as "CD" permits who park there. She stated that they need to encourage those people to buy the "CD" permit to park there and pay the price that is appropriate for that zone. She noted that a "C" permit will give them the flexibility of parking in either a "C" or "CD".

Senator Kimler wanted to know if there is a percent over-sale in the rates.

Reeve stated that it fluctuates because a lot of things go into this, such as daily space counts at the first of the semester. Fall has greater attendance than spring and summer.

Senator Levine stated that faculty from the College of Veterinary Medicine frequently come to the library. He wanted to know if there is a way to create a few spots across from Scott Hall to give them easier access to the library.

Reeve stated that they issue a permit that is called the "U (soon to be UA)" for individuals (particularly faculty and staff) to use if they have duties requiring them to be on more than one campus. That permit is currently the same price as the "B" permit. The other option is the Dan Allen deck or the transit system, which has been a challenge because of supply and demand. Those two have to work together. Right now with the parking system being flexible, people are not so inclined to take the transit. The other option is for the department to buy a "departmental U" permit for employees to use when delivering items on other parts of campus.

Senator Tucker stated that a colleague had to come to North Campus to a student organization and was upset that he was unable to park without a "B" permit. He wanted to know if it is possible for him to go to Transportation to have his permit changed.

Reeve responded that the "UA" permit is replacing the "B" for people who do not work primarily on North Campus.

Senator Kimler wanted to know what is being considered as a method of transit from the main campus to centennial campus and vice versa.

Reeve stated that they recognize that transit has to do a better job. They have to have a better understanding of what people’s needs are. They are going to be losing spaces on the north campus because of the undergraduate teaching labs. She stated that there are a number of pedestrian improvements that are planned throughout the campus that will take parking. "We could lose just as many spaces that might be vacated by those members of Engineering that go to Centennial. Transit is really going to be our best answer, but we have got to make it the best service."

Reeve stated that yesterday was the first in a series of twelve focus groups that they are holding throughout campus. The Department of Transportation and Human Resources have developed random samples of faculty and staff. They are handing out material to the focus groups to explore preliminary issues and ideas that they have.

Reeve stated that they are hearing that mobility is very important to people and the convenience of that mobility. Pricing is very important, but at the same time people want to promote transit. People want to be able to walk. She feels that the best people to tell them how to take all of those things and package them together are people who are going to use the system. "We are working with the City of Raleigh to review other programs that other universities and cities have where they have collaborated to allow the students, faculty, and staff of those universities to ride the regional transit systems free. We are getting ready to look at where people live who have permits and who do not have permits and to contact them to see if this would be something that they would be inclined to do. We have got to give people more alternatives to get to campus. Already we have a very aggressive car pool and van pool program. We are up to seven van pools that faculty and staff are using. Those people, in essence, park free. We already subsidize transit. We are going to have to get more people here in fewer cars. In order to get them here, we have to provide them a way to get around so that they do not have to use their cars."

Senator Sawyers wanted to know if the hours permits are required will be extended from seven to seven campus-wide. He stated that many faculty are as likely to teach from 6-9 in the evening as 8-11 in the morning, and hunting for a parking space in the evening can be very difficult. He noted that he pays for a "B" permit, but if he teaches in the evening it is not valid other than where he does not want to park. He recommended that they address that issue.

Reeve stated that they have heard a lot of concerns from employees and commuting students. She stated that the Winston lot was enforced until 10:00 p.m. "We were not finding a lot of people using that, so we have switched that lot to the Peele lot because it is gated. We are testing that for this year. We have heard other stories from people saying not to do that until seven because "I am only taking one class and I come in late." The other issues we have heard are from students and employees who like to use the gym in the evening. That would put them in more competition. So do we go with certain areas on campus or do we go with all areas, because the other thing that we have to recognize is that we are a public university. We have a lot of visitors who come to this campus and certain areas of campus are going to have visitors. We certainly do not want to set them up for entrapment. Certain areas of campus where classes are located or where it is gated might be our primary areas. We would appreciate some input on that."

Senator Sawyer stated that with all due respect to visitors for athletic events, etc., "When I pay for a parking permit I should have a parking space. The teaching mission of the university is more important than those other things, particularly when I am paying for a spot to park."

Reeve reported that last year the Board of Trustees voted a two-year parking fee increase. The two increases that were approved for last year and this year are 5% increases. One took effect August of last year and the other will take effect this coming August. She stated that they are part of what the department needs just to keep afloat. Over the past five years, their normal operating cost only varied about 3%. The things that really started taking a turn were over the years when it was felt that they should not ask for a parking fee increase. "At the same time we were not able to ask for transit fee increases. Although right now we are subsidizing Wolfline by about $400,000, it was not long ago (approximately 3 or 4 years ago) that we were subsidizing it $900,0000. We try to maintain a reserve of approximately $500,000. We have to keep that because of the Dan Allen Deck. We have a debt bond ratio, and our expenses cannot exceed our revenues. We have a threshold that we have to maintain of money in the bank. We also have the challenge of breaking ground next May to expand the Coliseum parking deck somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 spaces. There is not going to be a lot of net new parking. This parking in large part is going to be funded by projects from campus that are taking parking from north campus. The largest one is going to be undergraduate teaching labs. Then we have a number of projects throughout the campus. All of these will go together. In the interim we may have to get a revenue bond to bridge ourselves over until they pay us back. We are looking at our permit costs for two years from now to see what that is going to do to our revenues."

Senator Tucker wanted to know if there is consideration for building a new deck in the "B" space.

Reeve stated that the master plan has pretty much determined where building will occur and what that building will be on campus.

Senator Tucker wanted to know if that should be influenced by demand for parking.

Reeve stated that it recognizes that, but it also weighs heavily the fact that there is a desire to make the north campus more pedestrian-oriented.

Senator Bottcher commented that the "U" (soon to be "UA") permit is a great instrument for solving a lot of the problems discussed, but wanted to know if that is still a viable solution to all of these problems, or if it is getting to be problematic in terms of the pressure on the "B".

Reeve responded that they have not taken any counts to know. She noted that approximately 75% of the number of B1's and B2's that were out there converted to "UA’s".

Senator Wilson wanted to know if anything can be done about the traffic when going out of the Riddick parking lot onto Pullen Drive. She thinks it is extremely dangerous. She noted that the stop light seems to function only for pedestrians

Reeve stated that the City of Raleigh has contracted with a consultant to go to the next level of the Hillsborough Street partnership plan. One of the intersections that is under study is that intersection. She stated that it will be approximately one year or more before they make a decision.

Senator Braunbeck stated that sending the renewal notices out for parking permits in July with only a two-week window to respond (under threat of losing the permit) is inappropriate for faculty on nine-month contracts, who may be away for longer periods in the summer. She wanted to know if the renewal notices can be sent out sooner.

Reeve responded yes, they will be sent out earlier this year.

Senator Suh commented that no matter what you do, this campus is growing. He does not see any way the problem can be solved to satisfy everyone. His suggestion is to look at how to satisfy not just the parking, but the communication and transportation problem. He pointed out that this is a huge campus. "It is limiting our capability for communicating and interchanging the ideas and using the library and going to the gym. We have to think about something so that we can improve our ideas. It is not a parking problem. The problem is a severe limit to what you can do within the day. I think we should look at what we are missing rather than what we are doing."

Reeve noted that information, and understanding their system is critical to people. Their homepage has a faculty-staff listserv and a student listserv because of the differences in the issues. People can sign up and receive information through the listserv.

6. Reports
Governance Committee
Senator Elmaghraby reported on the issues of representation of EPA professionals and visiting faculty. The Governance Committee recommends leaving the current language in the Faculty Handbook as it is.

On the issue of faculty on leave, the Governance Committee recommends retaining the faculty on leave with pay in the count of quorum in the general faculty voting, while excluding the faculty on leave without pay.

On the issue of "per diem" allowance for travel, the Governance Committee recognizes that the authority to change the per diem allowance resides outside the University. The committee wishes to enter a recommendation for increasing the per diem allowance with the roster of "faculty concerns" for consideration by the Administration and the UNC General Administration.

Senator Suh suggested making a suggestion to the Chancellor to let her handle it the way that she sees fit.

Vice Provost Abrams commented that he would expect the Senate to take a step back rather than a step forward on this issue, because it is a very sensitive time.

Senator Kimler feels that the faculty should keep asking. He noted that they are doing more with fewer resources. They are doing more tasks with the same number of faculty. He feels that asking constantly for the things needed to do ordinary jobs will keep reminding them of that.

Academic Policy Committee
Senator Kimler reported that the Academic Policy Committee will meet jointly with the Personnel Policy Committee on Tuesday, March 27, to talk about the draft report on the issues of heads versus chairs. He noted that it is a great opportunity for an open meeting and invited the faculty to attend.

Senator Kimler reported that the Pilot Study on the university-wide evaluation of instruction has been done. All classes would use standardized forms. The Evaluation of Teaching Committee met and approved the pilot report executive summary of recommendations last week. The Academic Policy Committee will be reviewing it next week to report back to the Senate.

The committee will also be addressing a concern on drop/adds.

Personnel Policy Committee
Senator Bottcher reported that the Personnel Policy Committee will meet jointly with the Academic Policy Committee on Tuesday, March 27. The committee will also be addressing issues discussed at the Faculty Senate Executive Committee meeting.

7.    Adjournment
Chair Corbin adjourned the meeting at 4:55 p.m.

Footer Nav