GEM FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
Ph.D. Science, Ph.D. Engineering and M.S. Engineering Programs
SPONSORING AGENCY: National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science, Inc. (GEM)
PURPOSE: The GEM fellowship programs are designed to provide opportunities for underrepresented ethnic minority students to obtain M.S. degrees in engineering and Ph.D. degrees in engineering and the sciences through a program of paid summer internships and graduate financial assistance.
- Engineering (M.S. and Ph.D.)
- Science (Ph.D.)
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Members of the following under-represented groups in science and engineering: American Indian/Native, African American/Black, Hispanic American/Latino
- Applicants to the M.S. Engineering program must be a junior, senior, or graduate of an engineering or computer science program accredited by ABET, Inc. at the time of application. A cumulative GPA of 2.8/4.0 is required.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. Programs must be a senior, masters student, or graduate of an engineering or computer science program accredited by ABET, Inc. at the time of application. A cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0 is required.
- M.S. Engineering Fellows: $4,000 living stipend per full-time semester up to 4 semesters ($8,000 per academic year - 3 quarters)
- Ph.D. Engineering/Science Fellows: $16,000 stipend in year 1 of the PhD program, GEM-member university supports years 2-5 equivalent to other funded doctorate students in the department
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15 of each year for the following academic year.