Graduate Program Development and Revisions
Academic Program Planning and Prioritization Process (effective Sept. 1, 2012)
Approval to plan a new academic program must be obtained from the Provost. This process must be completed prior to submitting a new academic program for on-campus and system level approval. Click here for details.
New Academic Programs Procedure for On-Campus and System Level Approval
The development of new Undergraduate, Master’s, Doctoral or First Professional degree programs requires the completion of UNC-GA Policy No. 400.1.1 Appendix A (Notification of Intent to Plan) and Appendix C (Request for Authorization to Establish a New Degree Program). Click on the degree program level for further instructions and the necessary forms.
The development of degree-related Distance Education programs requires the completion of UNC-GA Policy No. 400.1.1[R] Appendix F (Notification of Intent to Plan) and Appendix G (Request for Authorization to Establish a New Distance Education Degree Program). Click on the degree program level for further instructions and the necessary forms.
There is an On-Campus Routing Form required for all Graduate Degree Actions for New Degree Programs, Change in Degree Program Title, or Discontinuation of Existing Degree Programs. Changes to Undergraduate Programs and Course Prefixes require separate documentation.
There is also a Signature Page required for creation of new degree programs (including Minors and Certificates) and all degree program changes.
Planning New Curricula
- Master's Degree Program (including Professional Science Master's)
Doctoral or First Professional Degree Program
Distance Education Programs: NC State General Procedures
Master's Distance Education Program
Accelerated Bachelors/Master's Program
Graduate Certificate Programs
- Course Processing using CIM
Graduate Course Syllabus Checklist
Learning Outcomes Guidelines
Degree Name Changes or Discontinuation
Required On-Campus Forms
- On-Campus Routing Form
Required for all Graduate Degree and Certificate actions, including creation of new programs, change in title, or discontinuation of existing program.
- NC State Signature Page
Required for all degree programs and certificate programs.
Other Program Actions
- Creating New Concentrations within an Existing Program
Procedures for Changing Non-Thesis Graduate Degree Program Requirements to Option B
Procedure for Changing Existing Curriculum
- Procedure for Professional Science Master's affiliation
- Procedure for Establishing a Dual Degree- external
- North Carolina State University works collaboratively with both international and domestic institutions of higher education to provide opportunities for students to pursue dual degree programs. Students complete the requirements for two degrees from two institutions, with efficiencies in course taking. Each institution is responsible for and will award its own degree.
- Inter-Institutional Agreements (contact in the Graduate School Dr. George Hodge, Assistant Dean for New Program Development) including joint degrees and courses for academic credit
Other Links of Interest