GSSP: Health Insurance Separation Due to Break in or End of Appointment
If you expect your assistantship to terminate permanently or for a short period, be sure to check with your department to ensure that the termination process is completed in a timely manner and that you know exactly when your GSSP health insurance coverage will end.
Please be aware that the Graduate School is not involved, at all, after a student is no longer covered under the GSSP. The options listed below are possible options that students should seek out and manage independently. The Graduate School simply manages eligibility and administers the payment of insurance for active GSSP students. It is the employing department’s responsibility to inform the student when their GSSP benefits (including health insurance) will begin and end.
- A) If you are still designated as a NCSU student (registered for courses), you can enroll in University Mandatory Plan ("Hard Waiver" plan). To do this, the student should either contact the NCSU Student Health Center (919-515-2563) or Student Blue (1-800-579-8022) within 30 days of the date on which their previous coverage (NCSU RA-TA plan) terminated. The student can enroll in the university mandatory plan for the duration of the semester’s plan for a prorated amount.
- B) If you will no longer be a student, you can:
- Shop for health insurance coverage at www.healthcare.gov (within 60 days of coverage loss).
- Contact Student Blue at 1-800-579-8022 to see if you are eligible to enroll in the University Mandatory Plan ("Hard Waiver" plan) for the duration of the semester for a prorated amount (Hard Waiver Plan End Dates - Fall = 12/31/XXXX; Spring = 07/31/XXXX).
- Contact Student Blue at 1-800-579-8022 to see if you are eligible (or how you can be eligible) to elect the "Voluntary Extension" of the University Mandatory Plan ("Hard Waiver" plan) for up to 3 months**.
COBRA coverage is no longer an option (as of 08/15/2014) with the NCSU RA-TA plan.
**Please note that the "Voluntary Extension" option is subject to change with the new 2015-2016 policy year. Contacting Student Blue at the number listed above is the best way to determine what options, if any, are available to you for continuing health insurance coverage with Student Blue (BCBS).