Women of Welch (WOW) Village
The WOW Factor: Transforming Sisterhood into Social Justice. The Women of Welch (WOW) Village was created to enhance women's experience outside the classroom through a focus on empowerment, leadership development, self-awareness, and diversity/social justice. The WOW Village strives to create a holistic community that fosters individual women's growth and development while challenging residents to act as citizens of a global community.
WOW is dedicated to:
- Creating a nurturing environment which inspires and and empowers its residents
- Encouraging self-awareness and critical thinking through university and community activities that focus on equity and diversity
- Fostering cultural understanding and interaction to create a just community
The WOW Village is located on the first and second floors of Welch Hall on East Campus. Welch Hall offers double occupancy rooms in a traditional style hall. Welch is an all female hall that is both an alcohol and smoke free facility.
The WOW Village brings together women, primarily those in their first year, but also women from all class years and academic majors in Welch Hall. This residential program aims to support, empower, connect and develop female leaders at NC State. The Women of Welch will be continually engaged in their residential setting through specialized in hall programming as well as campus and community involvement such as tickets to on and off campus events, scholarships for conference attendance as well as an opportunity to participate in a women's focused spring trip. Students will also be paired up with WOW Mentors. These mentors are upperclass women who have chosen to live in Welch and serve in this role while continuing to enhance their own leadership skills. Mentors will help our students become connected to NC State, Welch Hall and the WOW Village.
Other experiences central to our Village include:
- Living in Welch Hall
- Participating in the WOW Village retreat
- Crucial Conversations
- Community Service Events
- Women's Center Events
- Faculty Dinners
- WOW Village residents will be expected to enroll in a common section of Women & Genders Studies (WGS) 200 in the fall 2013 semester.
Women of Welch Village Application Information
- If you are interested in applying to the WOW Program, you must first complete a Housing Application for 2013-2014 by logging in to the MyPack Portal and select the student tab > Campus Life > University Housing > Student Request.
- Once the Housing Application is completed and submitted, students may return to the Housing Self Service Page, select the Living and Learning Village link, and complete the WOW Village applications. The completed WOW Village applications will have a status of "Pending". Upon review and acceptance of the application, the status will change to "Approved" and you will be notified by the Village.
- Application review will begin in January 2013. Participants will be accepted to the WOW program on a rolling basis. Applications received prior to May 15th will receive priority.
- Once accepted into the WOW program, WOW participants who are returning NCSU students will be able to choose spaces in the WOW Village through the Room Selection process. Incoming NCSU students will be placed in available spaces on WOW floors in Welch Hall.
Assistant Director, Northeast Campus