NC State NanoDays
NanoDays is an annual state-wide event coordinated by Dr. Gail Jones in NC State's Math, Science, and Technology Education Department. The event combines fun hands-on activities with presentations on current nanotechnology research. A range of exciting programs demonstrate the special and unexpected properties found at the nanoscale, examine tools used by nanoscientists, showcase nano materials with spectacular promise, and consider implications of new technologies for society. NanoDays began at NC State and is now a nationwide festival of educational programs.
NanoDays 2014 was held on Friday, April 25, 2014 from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. on NC State's Centennial Campus in Engineering Building 2. More than 3,000 of the top science students from across North Carolina learned about nanoscale science and engineering and NC State's cutting edge research. NanoDays events combine fun hands-on activities with presentations on current research. A range of exciting demonstrate the special and unexpected properties found at the nanoscale, examine tools used by nanoscientists, showcase nano materials with spectacular promise, and consider implications of new technologies for society.
NanoDays began at NC State and is now a nationwide festival of educational programs about nanoscale science and engineering and its potential impact on the future. NanoDays engages people of all ages in learning about this emerging field of science, which holds the promise of developing revolutionary materials and technologies. The NC State Nanotechnology Initiative is a sponsor of this event.
Visitors made some of their own nanomaterials, investigated super thin materials used in solar cell technology, and changed the color of a butterfly’s wings! Other activities included experimenting with paint that never gets dirty, learning about nanoparticles that can kill cancer, and participating in special laboratory tours. For more information, visit the NanoDays web page or contact Rebecca Hite.
Previous NanoDays Events (2008 -2013)
- Slideshows of NanoDays 2013
- Slideshows of NanoDays 2012 (Windows Media Files)
- NANODAYS 2012: ALL PHOTOS
- Explore Nanotechnology: Demonstrations and Hands-On Investigations
- Nanocapsules Activity by Marbles Children's Museum
- Materials Science Activity by Dr. Yaroslava Yingling's Research Group
- Graduate Student Research Posters
- Tour of Dr. Gregory Parsons's Laboratory
- Nano Ice Cream
- NanoDays 2010: Video slideshow of NanoDays 2010 (Windows Media file, 8.77 MB).
- NanoDays 2009: Video slideshow of "nano ice cream" at NanoDays 2009 (Windows Media file, 5.58 MB).
- NanoDays 2008: Video slideshow of NanoDays 2008 (Windows Media file, 12,796 KB).
NanoDays event photos by Ali Stieglitz