Agromeck earns Gold Circle awards
The Columbia Scholastic Press Association has honored the 2011 Agromeck staff with 13 Gold Circle Awards. In its 29th year, the Gold Circle Awards recognize individual achievement by student writers, editors, designers and photographers. Close to 5,000 entries were received from college and secondary schools across the country. Judges selected 745 finalists from 42 yearbook and 51 digital media categories. No other North Carolina school received recognition at the college level.
- Second Place for Informational Graphics Single: Sarah Stadler, “Construction zone”
- Second Place for Index: Agromeck Staff
- Third Place for Student Life Feature Writing: Jordan Moore, “Musical goodbyes”
- Third Place for Sports Feature Writing: Jordan Moore, “A noisy pastime”
- Third Place for Division Page Design: Susannah Brinkley
- Third Place for People spread with mug photos multi-page presentation: Susannah Brinkley, “Senior portraits”
This spread on the marching band's last performance earned Gold Circle awards for student life feature writing and feature presentation.
- Certificate of Merit for Sports Reporting: Tucker Frazier, “Victory”
- Certificate of Merit for Academic Writing: Susannah Brinkley and Maggie Leftwich, “It’s not easy keeping it green”
- Certificate of Merit for Personality Profile: Kate Shefte, “Creating a monster”
- Certificate of Merit for Headline Writing: Kate Shefte, “Creating a monster”
- Certificate of Merit for Single Image Photo Illustration: Jordan Moore, “Free expression tunnel illustration”
- Certificate of Merit for Feature Presentation: Stephanie Doss and Jordan Moore, “Musical goodbyes”
- Certificate of Merit for Opening and Closing Spread Design: Susannah Brinkley and Sarah Stadler
The 2011 Agromeck was edited by Susannah Brinkley under adviser Bradley Wilson. Other staff included Sports Editor Brent Kitchen, Photo Editor Marisa Akers and Design Editors Kelly McDonough and Sarah Stadler. The book is also a finalist for a Crown Award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and has received recognition from College Media Association and Associated Collegiate Press.