Student media leader interviews scheduled
Applications for Student Media leaders for the 2012-2013 academic year opened Jan. 18. A position package from each applicant was due Thursday, Feb. 23 at noon. The next two steps in the application process are the candidate forum and advisory board meeting.
The final step is the full STUDENT MEDIA BOARD MEETING on Tuesday, March 13 at 7 p.m. in Witherspoon 201. During the meeting, a member from each individual advisory board will make a recommendation to the Student Media Board. The Board may then accept the recommendation and hire that candidate, reject the recommendation and interview the candidate(s), or choose to hire no candidate and reopen applications.
On Thursday, March 1 at 7 p.m. all applicants will appear at a public CANDIDATE FORUM to answer questions about their vision for Technician, Nubian Message, Agromeck, Windhover, WKNC 88.1 FM and the Student Media Business Office. The forum, in the Walnut Room in Talley Student Center, is open to anyone who wants to attend.
NEWSPAPER ADVISORY BOARD to interview the candidate for Technician editor: Mark Herring, a senior in Spanish language and literature. There were no applicants for and Nubian Message editor.
Meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in Witherspoon 356.
- Paul Ruddle, doctoral student, crop science, SBP appointed Student Media Board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Siddharth Gandra, junior, polymer and color chemistry/medical textiles, SBP appointed Student Media Board member, email@example.com
- Laura Wilkinson, editor, Technician, firstname.lastname@example.org
- C.J. Guion, editor, Nubian Message, email@example.com
- Michael Biesecker, reporter, Associated Press, appointed professional Student Media Board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Reavis, associate professor, English department, email@example.com
- Toni Thorpe, program coordinator, African American Cultural Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nancy Wylke, editor, Durham Herald Sun, email@example.com
- Ben McNeely, senior web producer, News 14 Carolina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tyler Dukes, managing editor, Reporters' Lab, email@example.com
Facilitator: Patrick Neal, director of student media advising, firstname.lastname@example.org
BROADCAST MEDIA ADVISORY BOARD to interview the candidates for WKNC general manager: Michael Jones, a junior in history, and Mason Morris, a junior in computer science.
Meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in Witherspoon 201.
- Henry Allen, senior, communications media, CHASS appointed Student Media Board member (chair), email@example.com
- Molly Matty, general manager, WKNC 88.1 FM, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kenny Hertling, station manager, Wolf TV, email@example.com
- Jim Rothschild, director of station operations, WRAL, appointed professional Student Media Board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean Phillips, lecturer, communication department, appointed academic Student Media Board member, email@example.com
- Kelly McCullen, producer/reporter/anchor, UNC-TV, former WKNC DJ, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joe Ovies, 99.9 The Fan afternoon radio co-host, former WKNC general manager, email@example.com
Facilitator: Jamie Lynn Gilbert, assistant coordinator of student media advising, firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNUAL PUBLICATIONS ADVISORY BOARD to interview the candidates for Agromeck and Windhover editor. Alex Sanchez, a sophomore in communications media, is the Agromeck editor applicant. The applicants for Windhover editor are Lisa Dickson, a junior in arts applications, and a joint application from Allison Hale, a senior in graphic design, and Kelley Rathod, a junior in graphic design.
Meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 29 at 6 p.m. in Witherspoon 324.
- Victoria Melbourne, junior, political science, SPB appointed Student Media Board member, email@example.com
- Kathryn Glaser, editor, Agromeck, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alanna Howard, editor, Windhover, email@example.com
- Will Stronach, public relations professional, appointed professional Student Media Board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Cooper Elias, marketing coordinator, Carolina Hurricanes, former Agromeck editor, email@example.com
- Britt Hayes, senior graphic designer, Gamil Design, former Windhover editor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brandon Wright, director of communications, North Carolina Bankers Association, former Agromeck editor, email@example.com
Facilitator: Martha Collins, office manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
BUSINESS OFFICE ADVISORY BOARD to interview the candidates for Student Media's business office manager: Chelsea Perry, a junior in fashion and textile management, and Olivia Pope, a senior in accounting.
Meeting: Monday, March 12 at 6:30 p.m. in Witherspoon 324
- Katherine Trapp, junior, business administration, Lonnie Poole College of Management appointed Student Media Board member, email@example.com
- Ronilyn Osborne, business office manager, Student Media, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Hartel , vice president and general manager, Curtis Media Group
- Lauren Sundberg, communication coordinator, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Kellie Brys, promotions specialist, Time Warner Cable Media
- Robbie Williams, energy solutions account executive, Schneider Electric
- Amy Callahan, business to business advertising coordinator, John Deere
- Chanon Smith, pharmaceutical service specialist, AstraZeneca
Facilitator: Krystal Pittman, business manager, email@example.com
- Facilitators are ex-officio, non-voting members. Editors do not vote on their successors.
- The advisory board for the business office makes the final decision. No Student Media Board action is required on this position.
- All meetings are open to the public.
- Candidates should not sit in on the statements or interviews of other candidates for the same position.
- The advisory board may move into executive (closed) session for deliberations.