Students enroll in 4-5 courses* during their semester at NC State, including the GTI 401 course on U.S. Culture and Higher Education. Students who wish to participate in the program should coordinate with the NC State department's director of advising and their home university's faculty advisor to determine academic eligibility.
*Students may not get their first choice for courses because enrollment is based on class space availability and students' previous course work. Certain academic departments at NC State may not allow certificate students to enroll in their courses.
- Estimated cost of attendance for an academic year. A semester is half the amount.
- The U.S. government charges visa and SEVIS fees.
- GTI Application Fee: $100 paid at the time an application is submitted (non-refundable and non-transferable).
- GTI Administration Fee: $400 paid during the semester at NC State.
- Contact the director of student advising in the preferred NC State academic department to determine your academic eligibility.
- Once you're deemed eligible, apply online at go.ncsu.edu/gti_apply at least at least 90 days before the start of the fall semester. Select the "GTE" option.
- Submit all supporting documents at least 60 days before the start of the semester.
- Pay the $100 application fee.
- Processing does not begin until all supporting documents are received and the application fee is paid.
- Processing time is typically 5-10 business days after all steps are completed by the applicant.
- Students receive a visa certificate (I-20) and instructions for applying for an F-1 visa once their applications have been accepted. Visit the Office of International Services' website for more details.
- Read through our pre-arrival checklist.
- Arrive at NC State for orientation, typically a week before classes start.
U.S. Culture and Education Colloquium
Certificate program students are enrolled in the GTI 401 course, which will provide the knowledge and skills needed to adjust to a different culture and success at an American university. The course will enhance your cross-cultural communication and English language ability and include trips to cultural sites and activities.